This Time Last Year: A Moving Experience!

I can’t believe that exactly a year ago our daughter bought and moved into her first house! It’s not far away so we still see a lot of her (she misses the dog!), but she has her own space. After a year she’s had time to get everything exactly the way she wants it: the house is looking lovely. I’m really proud of her!

C’s new living room, shortly after she moved in, complete with knitted accessories.

In the run up to the move, C had been collecting items for the house. She’d seen some lovely knitted pouffe/footstools and was wondering if it would be possible to make one. I thought the biggest issue would be the filling, but C had an old vinyl covered pouffe in her room filled with polystyrene beads. This would make a perfect base, almost firm enough to sit on or rest a tray on. We topped it up with more polystyrene beads from an old beanbag cushion.

I knew we’d need a load of super chunky yarn and C wanted grey to go with her furniture. Quite by chance we found some very reasonably priced yarn in B&M and bought the lot – I wasn’t sure if we’d be able to get any more if we ran out!

I had a look at loads of patterns on Ravelry but the most crucial thing was getting something the right size to cover the existing inner pouffe. It would be knitted in garter stitch, with the cast on edge long enough to reach from the top centre round to the bottom centre of base. Using the recommended 10mm needles and multiplying the tension square dimensions up from the from rows/stitches given on the ball band, my initial attempt was going to be too baggy. I hadn’t factored in how stretchy the finished knitting would be, so I made shorter test strips, casting on fewer stitches – it sounds time consuming but the yarn was so thick it didn’t take long to work out the right number.

I continued to work straight in garter stitch until I had a rectangle long enough to fit all the way round the “equator” of the pouffe. To finish, I sewed the cast on edge and the cast off edge together to make a tube, then ran a length of yarn through one of the free edges, gathering and pulling it tight to close that end and sewing it to secure. The cover was then put on the base, ensuring the gathers were even, forming a rosette at the centre of the base. The other free edge was drawn up and secured in the same way. at the top centre.

I think it looks rather like a cactus!

There was a small amount of yarn left so I suggested a matching cushion – Caitlin wanted two so we found some similar yarn – this Robin Super Chunky.

I worked some squares incorporating a simple cable pattern to fit some cushion pads I already had. C thought she ought to do her bit, so she knitted the cushion backs in garter stitch using the new yarn.

Super chunky garter stitch cushions under construction.

With everyone helping, the move went really well. We spent a weekend assembling flat-pack furniture and our garage gradually emptied of boxes – enough for K to find his fishing tackle anyway.

C was happy with the way our work turned out. Since then, the knitted cushions have been joined by some teal and white satin ones which add a contrasting texture and a pop of colour. It’s looking good! C loves her new home.

Have you ever made home accessories for a daughter or son? I’d love to hear about them so please let me know by adding a comment or a link to a blogpost.

Author:

I live in Northumberland, within sight of the sea and spend my time knitting, crocheting, sewing and trying my hand at different crafts. There's usually a story to share about the things I make.

5 thoughts on “This Time Last Year: A Moving Experience!

Leave a Reply to Kevin Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s